The official CM 11 Experimental builds are now available for the Galaxy S4 I9500 International model. Use this post if you want to learn how to successfully install it on your device without bricking its firmware.
The new builds were made available and now every single Galaxy S4 owner can enjoy the KitKat OS on their devices. Before starting the installation you should read the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the International Galaxy S4 model number I9500 — the Exynos model.
– do not flash the files that you will find in this post on any other Galaxy S4 phone.
– if you own a Galaxy S4 I9505, then you should read this guide here if you want to learn how to flash a CM 11 Nightly ROM.
- Your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP will work too, but you need to make sure that you apply the corresponding actions.|
> make sure that it doesn’t matter which custom Recovery you use, as long as you’ve updated it to its latest version.
> older versions of CMW / TWRP won’t flash the new KitKat custom ROM builds.
- Do not skip the NANDROID Backup step, i t will create a restore point for you phone and it is listed in the tutorial.
- A Factory Reset is also needed for your device, it will wipe all data from system partition.
_ factory reset doesn’t wipe the data from internal nor external storage.
– do not skip this step.
- Backup SMS text messages, data from installed applications and other similar things using Helium for Android — link here.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– more info can be found here if you don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone.
– read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete the guide.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this guide.
- Download the latest CM11 Experimental build from here.
- Download Gapps for this Android 4.4.2 ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC, then you need to move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from computer.
> do not unzip the contents of the archives.
- Power off your device now and then boot it in Custom Recovery mode.
– learn here how to boot Recovery in case you don’t know how to do it manually.
- First, create a full NANDROID ROM backup for the installed OS:
– select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your device.
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
> do not skip this step.
- Now you can install CM 11 Experimental ROM on your Galaxy S4:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the ROM zip file and confirm installation.
- When all the ROM files are flashed with success you need to repeat step 7 actions and then install Gapps zip.
- After you manage to install both the ROM and Gapps, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
– note that the first boot of CM 11 Experimental ROM takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until it loads all the new files.
- Use your Google Account info or the CyanogenMod profile in order to log into your device.
– test all the new features and then tell us in comments how is your device working with the new ROM.
NOTE: if the first boot process takes more than ten minutes and it doesn’t boot in normal mode, or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
– make sure that in case you repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps and that you will apply Factory Reset.
– also it would be best for you to apply the ‘format /system’ action too.
If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.