Carbon KitKat Nightlies are now live for the Cricket Galaxy S3. Use this guide in order to learn how to successfully update your device.
This is a custom ROM that is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2. It packs features from other popular custom ROMs, such as CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android and AOKP builds. More info about this release can be found at Carbon-ROM web page here.
Carbon KitKat Nightlies is the first stage of this ROM and one that it cannot be said that it is very stable. Use this new build only for testing purposes and keep an eye open for future Stable Carbon KitKat builds releases.
Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Cricket model.
– do not update any other devices using the files that I’ve listed in this post.
- Your device has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery.
– TWRP Recovery will work too.
> note that in the tutorial you will find info on how to flash the new ROM using CWM, but the TWRP can be used if you carefully apply the corresponding actions.
– no matter which custom Recovery version you use, you should make sure that you update it to its latest build.
- Create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS.
– this will set a restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– this step is listed in the tutorial, you won’t miss it.
- Factory Reset is also required for this tutorial, so you will manage to apply a clean installation of Carbon ROM.
– Factory Reset wipes all data from your device’s system partition while leaving the internal / external storage unaffected.
– this process is listed in the tutorial.
- Backup data from installed applications, SMS text messages and other similar files using Helium tool for Android => guide here.
- Sync all your Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– info here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, so you shouldn’t attempt to update your device in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- In case you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
- Check your device’s battery power and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a KitKat ROM for your device.
- Download the latest KK build of this ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this Android 4.4.2 custom ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– when both files are copied with success you can disconnect the phone from PC.
> do not unzip the contents of the files.
- Power off your phone now and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you should take a look at this post.
- Very first thing that you simply wish to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the put in ROM:
– make a choice ‘backup and fix’ possibility, set a reputation for the file and ensure course of.
> don’t skip this step.
- Subsequent, follow the manufacturing unit Reset in your tool:
– make a selection ‘wipe knowledge/ manufacturing unit reset’. Verify.
> don’t skip this motion.
- Now you could flash the emblem new Carbon KK four.four.2 Nightly ROM on your Cricket Galaxy S3:
– make a choice ‘set up zip from sdcard’, then ‘select zip from sdcard’.
– to find the ROM zip and ensure its set up.
- When the ROM is put in you want to repeat the step 7 movements and flash the Gapps zip too.
- In any case information are put in, return to the principle customized Restoration display.
- Reboot your software now in commonplace mode.
– this course of shouldn’t take greater than ten minutes.
- Enter your Google Account data when the principle menu of Carbon KitKat Nightly ROM seems.
> take a look at all of the new options and capabilities delivered by means of this new ROM after which inform us in feedback how is your instrument working with them.
These have been all of the steps that you just needed to take with a purpose to full the set up. In case you have another questions, then it might be very best in the event you’d use the feedback box beneath.
In case the brand new ROM doesn’t boot in standard mode along with your software, then you’re going to be compelled to repeat the information greater than as soon as. Just be sure you gained’t skip any steps and that you’re going to observe ‘manufacturing unit reset’. Additionally, it might be best possible so that you can use the ‘layout /device’ possibility too.
When you don’t like the brand new Carbon Android four.four.2 KK Nightly or the way it works together with your Galaxy S3 Cricket adaptation, then it will be best possible so that you can restoration the cellphone to its earlier ROM the usage of the file created in step 5.