AT&T Galaxy S3 can now be updated to Android 4.4.2 KK using the Nightly builds of Carbon KitKat ROM. If you carefully read all the info listed in this post, then you will be able to complete the guide in no time.
Learn more about this release by visiting the Carbon-ROM web page here or at the XDA thread here.Also, if you bugs, errors or any other type of problem while installing the new ROM, then it would be best for you to report them directly to Carbon KitKat Nightly developing team.
Before starting the installation you have to read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3.
– don’t attempt to use the files that you’ll find in this post on any other Galaxy S3 devices.
- Your Galaxy S3 AT&T has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP Recovery.
– if the custom Recovery you currently have installed on your device is not updated to its latest build, then you cannot flash any KitKat ROMs.
- In the tutorial you will find a step that tells you to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM, don’t skip it.
– that process will make a restore point for your phone, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– also the ROM Backup file can be used in case the new Carbon KK Nightly ROM doesn’t work as you had expected it to run.
- Before installing the new custom KitKat ROM you will need to apply the Factory Reset step.
– this step is listed in the tutorial, but you need to know that this process will wipe all data from system partition.
– Factory Reset doesn’t delete files from internal nor external storage.
- Backup data from installed apps and SMS text messages using Helium app for Android — guide on how to use it can be found here.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account, so that no phone numbers or Contacts will be lost forever.
– guide here for those that want to learn how to sync such data.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery charge level is over 40%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the installation of Carbon KitKat ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This post is for advanced users who want to tinker with their phone’s OS and learn more about the new KitKat builds while testing them.
- Do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- If you need any other instructions that aren’t listed in this post, then you can ask for help in comments.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully configure your device for the installation of a brand new Android 4.4.2 ROM.
- Download the latest build from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Use the USB data cable and connect your AT&T SGS3 with your PC, then move both files to your device’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot your device in CWM Recovery Mode.
> note that the TWRP Recovery will also work, apply the corresponding options or ask more help in comments if you cannot find the correct installation options.
> if you don’t know how to boot custom Recovery, then you can learn here.
- Now that you just’re on the primary Customized Restoration Mode menu that you could commence the primary activity: Create a NANDROID ROM Backup
– choose ‘backup and restoration’, set a reputation for the file and ensure.
- Subsequent, practice the Manufacturing unit Reset:
– choose ‘wipe knowledge/ manufacturing facility reset’, verify.
- Now flash the Carbon KK four.four.2 Nightly to your tool:
– make a selection ‘set up zip from sdcard’, after that you’ve got to make a choice ‘make a choice zip from sdcard’.
– in finding the brand new ROM file and make sure course of.
- When the ROM is put in you wish to flash the Gapps zip.
- In any case information are put in, get again to the primary customized Restoration display and reboot your AT&T Galaxy S3 in commonplace mode.
– word that the primary boot course of takes some time to complete, which is why you must wait except the house display seems.
- Use your Google Account data with a view to take keep an eye on over your smartphone.
These had been the entire steps that you simply needed to take to learn to flash a customized KitKat ROM on your software.
If the educational fails at your first try, then you definitely will have to try to repeat the information. However, just remember to received’t skip any steps which are listed above. Ask for extra lend a hand in feedback in the event you want another pointers.