Runedrune, XDA member and developer, has launched an unofficial CM 11 Nightly build for Galaxy S4. Use this post if you want to learn how to successfully install it on your device.
Learn more about this custom CM build by checking the XDA thread here. If you want to learn how to successfully update your device with the new custom ROM, you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this article only with the Galaxy S4 model number I9500 — the Exynos variant.
– don’t use this post with the I9505 Snapdragon model, as you will brick it.
– don’t try to flash the files that you find in this post on any other Android device.
- the Galaxy S4 that you’re about to update has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery build.
– make sure that the Custom Recovery image is updated to its latest version before starting the installation process of Unofficial CM 11.
- a NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM is required.
– this step is listed in the tutorial and you shouldn’t skip it, as it will set a restore point for your device.
– the NANDROID ROM Backup can be used in case the new Unofficial CM 11 ROM doesn’t boot.
- a Factory Reset is also needed, this will wipe all data from system partition, while leaving the internal / external storage unaffected.
– Factory Reset has to be applied, so that the new ROM will boot correctly.
- Backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool for Android — link here.
- Sync all your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
– guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Option menu.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 40% power left before the device switches off completely.
- This is a guide for advanced users, so you shouldn’t try to update your device in case you don’t know what you’re doing or you don’t want to tinker with your phone’s OS.
- Do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any data in the process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that are listed in the tutorial.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post. Learn how to successfully install this brand new custom ROM on your phone using all the info below.
Remember that this is not an official CyanogenMod 11 Nightly release, but a small build that you can use for testing purposes.
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with your smartphone now.
– transfer the downloaded zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
> do not unzip the contents of the files.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the phone now in CWM Recovery Mode.
– info here for people who don’t recognize the way to boot restoration mode for Galaxy S4.
- Very first thing that you simply want to do is to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup.
– make a choice ‘backup and restoration’, provide a reputation for the file and reserve it for your cellphone.
- Observe the Manufacturing facility Reset in your telephone now.
– make a choice ‘wipe knowledge/ manufacturing facility reset’ and make sure course of.
- Subsequent, set up the brand new customized ROM:
– choose ‘set up zip from sdcard’, then ‘make a selection zip from sdcard’ , to find the ROM zip file and make sure its set up.
- After the ROM is flashed you want to choose as soon as once more the ‘make a selection zip from sdcard’ possibility. Set up the Gapps file now.
- When each recordsdata are put in you must get again to the principle customized Restoration monitor.
- Reboot your smartphone now in commonplace mode.
> observe that the primary boot course of will take as a minimum 5 minutes to load which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons except it’s full.
- Enter your Google Account information after the boot is full.
> take keep watch over over your instrument and begin checking out all of its new KitKat options.
I’m hoping that you just did be ready to full set up of Unofficial CM eleven KitKat on your Galaxy S4 I9500. If in case you have issues with the set up that you could make a choice to ask for extra lend a hand in feedback. Additionally, if the academic fails at your first strive, then which you can attempt to repeat all the publish as soon as once more and ensure to not skip any steps that I’ve listed above.
Should you come to a decision to repeat the information, then it could be easiest so that you can follow the ‘Manufacturing facility Reset’ step after which you must additionally observe ‘Structure /device’.
When you don’t like this new ROM, then you should use the NANDROID ROM Backup file in step 6 and repair your instrument to its earlier ROM.