Nexus 5 is the latest Android device that has been released by Google and LG. Furthermore, the Nexus 5 was the first smartphone to feature Google’s latest Android OS, so the phone is currently running on pure Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. But if you want to add a plus of stile on your Google Nexus 5 and also if you want to tweak your Android device, then I recommend you to use this tutorial as I will show you how to install the new Android 4.4.2 based Paranoid Saber Droid custom ROM software.
This ROM had just been made available for the Nexus 5 and those who have flashed the same declared that the Android 4.4.2 firmware is stable, smooth and comes with important and impressive improvements, features and capabilities that cannot be found on the default version of the Android KitKat OS. As you can already tell, Paranoid Saber Droid platform is based on ParanoidAndroid system, though on this update you will be able to enjoy lot more features than on the based ROM.
Of course, this isn’t an official update operation. Paranoid Saber Droid is not an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS that is OTA available for your Nexus 5, so this firmware has nothing to do with Google or with LG. Because of that, the ROM can be flashed only manually – by using the guidelines from below. The tutorial should be considered risky as there is some stuff to perform before installing the update on your smartphone. So, for avoiding unpleasant situations from happening you have to read all the lines from this step by step guide.
Paranoid Saber Droid ROM for Google Nexus 5 has been developed by third party devs –we should thank those of xda-developers for the same – and represents a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. Keep that in mind while completing the operations from below – I am referring to the pre requisites list.
Now, as I have already told you, the ROM is stable, comes without bugs or things that aren’t working properly and can be safely installed for a daily use. Furthermore, the same will be flashing a custom Android 4.4.2 OS on your Nexus 5, the firmware being perfect for those who are tired of the stock KitKat software. Also, the update can be used for improving the performances of your phone as Paranoid Saber Droid has features that will optimize the performances, upgrading the battery life and improving the speeds. Now, if you want all that, first take a look on the pre requisites from below.
- Root access must be ensured on your LG Google Nexus 5. Flashing a custom ROM firmware implies in having an unlocked smartphone as access to the internal system will be required. Therefore, gaining root access isn’t really an option when dealing with operations like the present one.
- You then need to install a custom recovery image on your LG Nexus 5, since the Paranoid Saber Droid Android 4.4.2 KitKat platform can be flashed only by using the same. Do note that you must install only the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery – any other custom recovery images can’t be used when dealing with this custom update.
- Unfortunately, when applying the root procedure the warranty of your Android Nexus device will get void. This is happening because all the operations described above, including the present update procedure, are unofficial ones.
- The warranty can be restored if you choose to revoke root access and replace the custom ROM. For achieving that you will have to downgrade your Google Nexus 5 to stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware, or you will have to apply an OTA update.
- Do note that on a rooted phone, the OTA releases can be flashed only manually, by using compatible step by step guides.
- A wipe will be required, or else the Paranoid Saber Droid ROM will not run properly on your LG Nexus 5. Because of that a backup is first recommended. By making the backup you can save your contacts list, the market apps, the call logs and also your personal info, accounts and data.
- On the same time, since a custom recovery image is being installed on your device, the best will be to make a Nandroid backup too – do the Nandroid backup for saving / replacing the current Android OS that runs on your handset.
A manual update operation can be applied only by suing a computer, on which you need to first deactivate the antivirus, firewall and any other security protection. Do that or else you might have problems while downloading the required files. Also, your LG Google Nexus 5 and its USB cable must be near you. Furthermore, on your phone USB debugging option must be checked; you can enable this option by going to “menu – settings – developer options”. Your device might get bricked out in case it gets turned off in the middle of the flashing procedure. Therefore, before going any further check the battery status of your phone: if there is less than 60% power left, plug in the charger, else resume the rest of the steps from below.
This guide is only compatible with the LG Google Nexus 5. Using the steps from below for installing the Android 4.4.2 based Paranoid Saber Droid custom ROM firmware on a different Android device will probably brick your beloved smartphone or tablet. Therefore, try not to mess things up and don’t perform things without consulting with the steps from the proper guide below.
- On your computer you need to have the following files: the Android 4.4.2 firmware file and the Google Apps package.
- You can download the Paranoid Saber Droid ROM from here, while from this page you can get the Google apps package.
- Don’t unzip these files; place the same on desktop.
- Connect your Nexus 5 with your computer via USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files from desktop on your phone.
- Remove the USB cable and turn off your device.
- Enter the Android smartphone in recovery mode.
- Then from recover wipe the data and clear cache – select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery.
- From there select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same on your phone.
- Similar, do the same thing and apply the Google Apps package.
- In the end, from recovery select “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have successfully completed our step by step guide. Now your LG Google Nexus 5 is running on custom Android 4.4.2 OS as the Paranoid Saber Droid firmware has been flashed on your Android device. If you had problems while performing the steps from above, use the comments section from below and share the issues with us; also take a look here and learn how to resolve your problems easily.