The latest version of TWRP recovery is being required each time you will try to flash a custom ROM firmware based on Android 4.4 KitKat OS such as AOKP, CM11, ParanoidAndroid, LiquidSmooth and so on, on your Android device. So, if you are looking into updating your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 with an Android 4.4 based software, first you will have to complete this step by step guide. The best is that the latest version of TWRP recovery described here is compatible with the WiFi, 3G and LTE models of the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, which means that you can use this tutorial for almost all the variants of the Tab 3.
But what is TWRP recovery? In order to explain that first, let’s talk about a custom recovery image and how can it be useful on an Android device. As you know, when you first buy a new tablet or smartphone it will be delivered with a stock recovery image. Now, this image can be used only for making official operations such as applying an official update or firmware. In case you will want to tweak your Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, the stock recovery will no longer be useful, which means you will have to replace the same with a custom one.
Now, CWM recovery is a custom recovery that can be easily installed on any Android device thus on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 too. CWM recovery is maybe one of the most used custom recovery by the Android users as the tool is compatible with almost all the smartphones and tablets out there – both mid range / low range and high end handsets. Now, TWRP recovery is the touch version of CWM recovery, this app representing the improved version of CWM recovery.
TWRP recovery will bring a more user friendly interface and more features that can be used for improving the performances of your Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (WiFi, 3G and LTE models). And as already stated during the introduction of this step by step guide, the latest version of TWRP recovery is required especially when trying to update your Galaxy Tab 3 with an Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM firmware, so completing this guide is not an option for you.
Another positive aspect related to the present tutorial is that it can be completed without having to pre-root your Tab 3 8.0. As you know, usually a custom recovery image, such as TWRP Recovery, can be flashed only on a rooted system. But, thanks to those of xda-developers who have developed the present app, you can now install TWRP recovery without rooting your Tab 3 8.0. You can do this as Odin will be used on the flashing operation, so you have nothing to worry about – Odin represents an official program developed and offered by Samsung.
Due to same reasons, by completing this guide the warranty of your tablet will not get void – the warranty has been voided though if you have rooted your tablet. Also, the warranty will get void if you will flash a custom ROM on your Android device. Don’t worry though, as the warranty can be then restored by downgrading / updating to stock / official Android OS – in our case, for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Jelly Bean firmware – Android 4.4 OTA update will also be soon released.
Perfect, so if you have decided to perform this operation, go ahead and follow the guidelines from below. First we will check how to prepare your tablet for the installation procedure and then we will see how to easily flash the latest version of TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 LTE, 3G and WiFi models.
Since this is a manual installation procedure, for being able to apply the same a computer must be used. Make sure to use a Windows based computer as Odin will be used on the flashing operation. Good; after that, on your computer deactivate the security tools, as these programs might interfere with our work. Also, for avoiding unpleasant situations from happening you need to charge your Tab 3 before going any further – at least check the battery status (there should be at least 50% power left in the system). You will have to connect your tablet with the computer, so on your Tab 3 enable the USB debugging option by going to path “menu – settings – developer options”.
Also, it will be a good idea to backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your tablet. Since you are using Odin for installing TWRP recovery, the data can be wiped out only in rare situations, but in order to keep your data in safe hands I recommend you to use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play.
Finally, remember that the latest version of TWRP recovery (which is presented on this step by step guide) can be installed only on the WiFi, 3G and LTE models of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. This tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned device – else you will end up in bricking your smartphone or tablet.
- On your computer download Odin.
- Unzip the file.
- Then, on the same computer download the latest version of TWRP recovery: for the WiFi Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 get the file from here, for the 3G model use this link while for the LTE variant use this page.
- Unzip the TWRP recovery file on the same folder as Odin.
- On your computer install the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 drivers. Use Samsung KIES if you don’t know from where to get these drivers.
- Now, on your computer run Odin.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Reboot your tablet in download mode; in order to do so you need to press the power, volume down and home buttons together.
- Now, with your device in download mode and with Odin running on your computer, connect your Tab 3 with your PC.
- Use the USB cable in order to establish the connection.
- Odin will try to recognize your handset; if everything is working as expected, on Odin the “added” message will be displayed while the ID:COM section will turn yellow or blue.
- If not, you can try to reinstall the drivers on the computer or to re-connect your tablet with the same.
- Good, now from Odin select the “PA” option.
- Pick the TWRP recovery file.
- The re-partition box in Odin must be unchecked.
- Press on “start”.
- Wait while the installation process is running.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed while the ID:COM section will turn green.
- You are done.
- learn how to enter recovery mode on your Android device by using our dedicated tutorial from here.
So there you have it; that was how you can install the latest version of TWRP recovery on your WiFi, LTE, or 3G model of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. Therefore, after completing this step by step guide, you can safely look into rooting your tablet, installing a custom ROM and lot more (flash a custom kernel, overclock your Android device, remove bloatware and so on). So, what do you say, was this tutorial helpful for you? Do share your thoughts with us by using the comments field from below.