CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies are now live for the Sprint Galaxy Note 3 and you can use this post in order to learn how to successfully update it. Read the entire post and you should be able to flash all files easily in under five minutes.
CM 11 Nightly is based on AOSP Android 4.4 KitKat. Besides all the stock features you will also find numerous other tweaks and functions that were added by the CyanogenMod team. More about their work can be found at their blog page here. If you want to install this new ROM, then you need to take a look at the preparation guide below first:
- Use this tutorial only for the Sprint variant of Galaxy Note 3.
– do not attempt to update any other device with the files that are listed in the tutorial.
- Your Sprint Note 3 should be rooted in order to support custom ROMs such as CM 11.
- CWM or TWRP Recovery needs to be installed on your device. Make sure that whichever custom Recovery you use, then it is updated to its latest build.
– the guide contains info for CWM Recovery, but you can use TWRP version too, if that’s the one installed on your phone — make sure to apply the correct corresponding changes.
- It is required for you to create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM before installing the new CM 11 build.
– this will set a restore point for your device.
- Factory Reset has to be applied too.
– it will wipe all data from the system partition, while the internal and external storage won’t be affected in the process.
> don’t skip Factory Reset, as the new ROM might not boot in normal mode.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
– root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Learn here how to sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- Check the phone’s battery charge and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Read the entire tutorial, don’t skip any steps and make sure that you know what you’re doing.
– if you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, then you can get to the interesting part of this guide and learn how to update your device with a custom KitKat ROM.
- Download the CM 11 Nightly ROM from here.
– make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– when you complete the transfer you can disconnect the Note 3 from PC.
> do not unzip the contents of the archived files.
- Power off your device and then boot it in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
– here you can learn how to boot recovery in case you don’t know how to do it.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup now:
– select ‘backup and restore’ option, set a name for the file and confirm the backup.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
- Now you can install CM 11 Android 4.4.2 Nightly for your Sprint Note 3:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the ROM zip file and install it.
- After the CM 11 Nightly is installed, select again the actions in step 7 and flash Gapps zip.
- When all files are installed with success you can get back to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
– remember that the first boot process of your new ROM will take at least several minutes to complete, don’t press any buttons until the home screen loads.
- Use the Google profile info in order to gain control over your Sprint Note 3 completely.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of CyanogenMod 11 Nightly KitKat ROM on your device.
If you have any other questions, then you can always choose to ask for more help in comments.