The AOKP team had finally released the official Android 4.4.2 platform and now more and more Android based devices can be installed with the same firmware. If you own the Samsung Galaxy S3 (International or US variants of the smartphone) phone and want to update to latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS ahead of official OTA roll out, then you can safely use this dedicated step by step guide which will take you through the flashing procedure of AOKP custom ROM software; just follow the guidelines from below for learning more about this new update and also about the installation operation of the same.
First of all, it should be clear for you that we are dealing with the official AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM and not with a ported version of the firmware. So, this update will smoothly run on your Galaxy S3. Furthermore, this guide is compatible with the following models of the Samsung Galaxy S3: International, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T and US Cellular. Therefore, the steps from below can be used by all the SGS3 users that want to install the latest Android 4.4.2 system on their smartphones.
As you know, Samsung will release the KitKat OTA update for the Galaxy S3 during the following months as each carrier will provide the firmware gradually, in phases and on different times. Because of that, the best will be to try the AOKP OS instead or at least until the stock update is being rolled out. Of course, AOKP isn’t an official update – the same is being developed by third party devs (it has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google – the ROM is only a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.4.2 KitKat platform) but the software is stable, comes without bugs or issues and brings important features and capabilities that cannot be found on the default version of Android OS.
These features offers great possibilities as by using the same you can power up the performances of your Galaxy S3. Basically, with AOKP Android 4.4.2 installed you will be able to obtain more power, improved speeds, upgraded battery life, updated web browsing experience and a new and more stable user experience (you will not be enjoying the pure KitKat UI though). Also, you will have access to the internal system of your phone, you will be able to remove the bloatware and to install custom apps and programs.
So, as you can see, you have all the reasons for updating your Verizon / T-Mobile / AT&T / US Cellular / International Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.4.2 KK based AOKP custom ROM firmware. But before heading to the proper flashing procedure, you first have to learn how to prepare your device. So complete the pre requisites which are being detailed below.
- Root your S3 because a custom ROM can be updated only on a rooted system. Why? Well basically the firmware will have to access some in built apps and programs and since you are using an unofficial port of Android OS, you need to root the system in order to provide the mentioned access.
- After gaining root access you need to install the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery on your device. Use one of the mentioned custom recovery images because the AOKP system has been tested by the devs only via CWM or TWRP recovery.
- Then backup the SGS3 data because on the update procedure a wipe will be required – as you know, when wiping the system, the data which is saved on the internal storage memory will be erased.
- Use the custom recovery image you have installed earlier for making a Nandroid backup; in this way you will save the current ROM – if the AOKP firmware will not be on your taste then you will be able to easily restore the old ROM.
- Also, use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving the EFS folder, contacts list, call logs, text messages and personal data, info and accounts.
- A computer, your Verizon / T-Mobile / AT&T / US Cellular / International Samsung Galaxy S3 and its USB cable are being required.
- On the computer and also on your smartphone first you will have to temporarily deactivate the security protection – just disable the antivirus and antimalware programs.
- Then, on your phone check the battery status: if there is less than 50% power left, first of all plug in the charger and only after that go and apply the steps from below.
- This step by step guide is teaching you how to install AOKP Android 4.4.2 custom ROM firmware; the steps from below are compatible though only with the Verizon / T-Mobile / AT&T / US Cellular / International Samsung Galaxy S3.
Since this isn’t an official update operation and since you have to apply some custom procedures on your phone (like gaining root access), by completing this guide you will void the Galaxy S3 warranty. This is happening because the binary flash counter of your device will be increased. Anyway, the warranty can be restored by revoking the root access; achieve the same by downgrading your phone to stock Android Jelly Bean OS, or apply the OTA Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware.
- The first thing to do is to download the AOKP firmware file and the Google apps package.
- You can get the Google apps from here, while for the Android 4.4.2 update file use one of the following links: for the Verizon Galaxy S3 model go here; for AT&T use this page; if you own the US Cellular SGS3 get the file from here; for International version use this link and for T-Mobile go here.
- Save these files on your computer – you can place the files on desktop (don’t unzip the same).
- Then connect your phone with the computer by plugging in the USB cable.
- Up next transfer the downloaded files from desktop on your phone’s SD card.
- Good, now unplug the USB cable as the computer is no longer useful.
- Also, turn off your device.
- Enter the Galaxy S3 in recovery mode.
- From there first make a choice “wipe knowledge manufacturing facility reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Make a choice “strengthen” and choose “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Up subsequent make a selection “set up zip from SD card” adopted by means of “make a choice zip from SD card”.
- Choose the AOKP firmware file and flash the identical.
- Repeat the process and set up Google apps bundle to your telephone.
- After all, from major menu of restoration choose “reboot device now” and you might be finished.
Congratulations; you may have put in AOKP customized ROM firmware for your Verizon / T-Cellular / AT&T / US Mobile / Global Samsung Galaxy S3. A customized model of Android four.four.2 KitKat OS is working to your smartphone, so attempt to check the brand new tool in an effort to see the way it performs. Don’t fail to remember about us and use the feedback box from under for sharing your impressions, outcomes and ideas with us and with different customers too.