On 2d concept, possibly the week earlier than Christmas — which this 12 months is 2 weeks sooner than the New 12 months’s vacation week, and three weeks ahead of CES — wasn’t one of the best time to uproot issues with regards to the day-to-day workflow, however what the hell. What’s accomplished is finished. After 4 years of working from house — in my bed room, no much less, shedding my place of job after we had our 2d daughter — I’ve discovered a brand new place of business to name dwelling.
It can be humorous the way it can take a little time to get moved in, although. It is a job that may be performed any place. I’ve carried out it from too many airplanes. From a educate from Los Angeles to San Diego. A racetrack within the Detroit suburbs. Out of doors the U.S., from such remote lands as Spain and England. Canada. Germany. France. The Netherlands. South Korea. Minnesota.
So what’s it about these naked white partitions that makes all of it really feel so completely different? I dunno. However I do be aware of that I am in a fascinating location — the highest flooring shall be dominated by using the University of West Florida Innovation Institute — and am among the first third of private tenants to be working in the DeVilliers Square building, which is still undergoing its $ 1.25 million rehab. And it’s located in the historic Belmont-DeVilliers area of Pensacola, which is seeing a pretty major revival. Plus there’s an awesome burger joint across the street, as well as the Five Sisters Blues Cafe. So there’s that. Maybe will have to set up a local meet-up at some point.
It’s going to be a fun 2014.
Other thoughts on the week that was:
- This Christmas week weather is ridiculous. High of 75 (and 100 percent humidity) on Sunday. Low of 35 (or lower) mid-week.
- It’s funny how many folks think smartphones are a zero-sum game. There’s something for everyone, and this year has seen more excellent high-end devices than ever before. Just because we believe the Moto X is the best Android smartphone you can buy doesn’t mean the likes of the Nexus 5 or LG G2 or HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4 are bad phones that you shouldn’t shell out for. Quite the contrary.
- And the more I think about it, the more I think the LG G2 didn’t get anywhere near enough love this year.
- Glad to see ROM Manager quickly restored to Google Play, with all its stats intact. But it was disappointing to see such a public hanging of Google with only one side of the story told. (Though I certainly can understand the initial freak-out. I probably would have done the same thing.)
- Bad Religion’s <a href="http://redirect.viglink.com?key=11fe087258b6fc0532a5ccfc924805c0&u=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fmusic%2Falbum%2FBad_Religion_Christmas_Songs%3Fid%3DBdobnv7h7kjdnrsqjfnfetgocam%22%3E"Christmas Songs" album is what Google Play Music All Access was made for.
- Should have more info on our CES coverage coming up this week — but this is shaping out to be really interesting. It’ll be nice to do something different, an not just run around like madmen trying to cover everything.
- I’m thoroughly enjoying our <a href="http://redirect.viglink.com?key=11fe087258b6fc0532a5ccfc924805c0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidcentral.com%2Fthrough-glass%22%3E"Through Glass" series. Makes me feel like a “normal” reader when editing folks from outside our normal circle. If you haven’t checked out Jen McEwen’s piece from this weekend, achieve this. And subsequent Saturday’s must equally nice.
- I have no idea how lengthy it’ll proceed — however we are going to maintain it going except it can be now not attention-grabbing, I reckon.
Hope every person has a just right vacation wreck. However for now, let’s get again to work.