Even the old Samsung Galaxy S I9000 has received a Nightly build of CM 11 KitKat. If you use this tutorial and read all info listed below you will be able to complete the installation in under ten minutes without bricking your smartphone.
The Official CM 11 Nightly build is the first stage in CyanogenMod’s team quest to launch the first stable custom KitKat ROM. Remember that this is still in its early phase and you might find errors and bugs while testing the ROM. Also, since the Galaxy S I9000 has been launched years ago and the KitKat isn’t available as an official OTA Update, then you shouldn’t expect it to work smoothly and with great battery life. More info about CM 11 can be found here.
Check the guidelines below before starting the updating process:
- this is a tutorial that will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S I9000.
– do not this guide with any other Android device, as it doesn’t work and you risk bricking it.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP Recovery will work too.
– whichever custom Recovery you decide to use, then you have to make sure that it is updated to its latest build.
- in the tutorial you will find the ‘factory reset’ step, do not skip it.
– this ‘factory reset’ wipes all data from your device’s system partition, while leaving the internal and external sdcards unaffected.
– do not skip factory reset, unless you already run an older CM 11 Nightly build.
- a NANDROID Backup is also required, so that you will have a restore point created for your Galaxy S.
– do not skip this step as you won’t have a viable solution for repairing your device in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode with CM 11 Nightly.
- backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool for Android — link here from Google Play Store.
- SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings can be backed up using the following small tools: SMS backup & restore that is the file that must be flashed in an effort to get all Google-based totally apps to your instrument.
- Join your smartphone to your pc, then transfer each zip information to its interior storage.
– after the recordsdata are copied, disconnect the instrument out of your laptop and proceed to the following a part of this publish.
> don’t unzip the archived recordsdata.
- Energy off your Galaxy S now utterly.
- Boot the instrument in CWM Restoration mode:
– it may be finished if you happen to press and hang Extent Up, House and Energy buttons, all on the comparable time.
– unlock the buttons simplest when the customized Restoration Mode display seems.
> observe that TWRP Restoration would possibly additionally work, however whichever customized Restoration you make a decision to make use of, it nonetheless needs to be up to date to its newest model.
- Very first thing that you just wish to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the put in ROM:
– choose ‘backup and fix’ possibility, then retailer the file for your instrument and proceed to the next move when executed.
> don’t skip this step, as it is going to set a fix level to your instrument and it may be utilized in case the brand new CM eleven Nightly ROM doesn’t need to boot in standard mode.
- Subsequent, observe the ‘manufacturing unit reset’ to your smartphone:
– choose ‘wipe knowledge/ manufacturing facility reset’, then verify the method.
> skip this step provided that your instrument already runs on a earlier CM eleven construct, however in case the brand new ROM doesn’t boot after set up, you then will have to repeat all the tutorial as soon as once more.
- Now which you can set up the emblem new customized ROM:
– make a selection ‘set up zip from sdcard’, then ‘select zip from sdcard’, in finding the CM eleven Nightly zip and make sure the method.
> don’t press any buttons except the set up is full.
- When CyanogenMod eleven Nightly ROM is flashed, you must choose as soon as once more the ‘make a selection zip from sdcard’ possibility. Flash the Gapps zip now.
- Get to the primary customized Restoration Mode menu when each CM eleven Nightly and Gapps are put in.
- Reboot your smartphone now in commonplace mode.
> the primary boot course of takes some time to load all of the new information, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons except you see the house reveal.
- Create/ log into your CyanogenMod Profile and take regulate over your smartphone new CM eleven Nightly ROM. Check all of the new options after which you’ll want to document any bugs you in finding within the feedback under or instantly to CM workforce.
These have been the entire steps that you simply needed to take as a way to full this tutorial. I’m hoping that you just did be capable to set up the customized CM eleven Nightly KitKat customized ROM and that you simply’re at present customizing its UI to higher fit your desires.
In case the primary boot course of takes greater than a few minutes to load, or the telephone enters right into a boot loop, you then will have to energy off the telephone by means of disposing of its battery. Re-insert the battery after a few seconds have handed after which repeat your entire tutorial as soon as once more, however make sure that to not skip any steps.
When you don’t like the brand new CyanogenMod eleven Nightly or how your instrument works with it, then which you could repair the telephone to its earlier OS the use of the recordsdata created in step 6. For some other questions, use the feedback box beneath.