AT&T Galaxy S3 can now be updated to Android 4.4 using a custom ROM that is based on unofficial CyanogenMod 11. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device without bricking it. Note that this is not an official update released by Samsung nor by AT&T, so you should install it at your own risk.
CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies will arrive soon but, until then you can test experimental builds based on it so that you’ll form an idea and see how your Galaxy S3 works with the latest Android 4.4 builds. If you want to learn more about this experimental build, take a look at its dedicated XDA thread here.
Since this is a test build of CM 11 KitKat you should expect to find bugs and errors while using it. At the moment the WiFi tethering isn’t working. Also, Netflix doesn’t display correctly videos on the smartphone, but it will work via Chromecast. Use the comments section for other bugs that you will find while testing CM 11 Experimental build.
Read the preparation guide below in order to make sure that you successfully update your AT&T Galaxy S3 with Unofficial CM 11:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T.
– don’t attempt to update any other smartphone with the files you find in this article.
- This guide works with AT&T Galaxy S3 that’s rooted, factory unlocked and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– if your device doesn’t meet all these requirements then you shouldn’t attempt to flash the custom ROM files.
- In the tutorial post of this post you will find the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step, do not skip it.
– if you skip factory reset, then the Galaxy S3 AT&T will not boot with the new ROM.
– Factory Reset wipes all data from system partition, while the internal and external storage card won’t be affected by this process.
– this step is found in the tutorial.
- Backup data from applications that are installed on your device using Helium app from Google Play Store here.
– do not use the Titanium Backup tool, as you won’t be able to restore data after installing KitKat ROM.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore Very first thing that you just wish to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup of your at present put in ROM:
– make a selection ‘backup and restoration choice’, retailer the file on the inner or exterior storage and ensure the method.
- Subsequent, make a choice ‘wipe information/ manufacturing facility reset’ and ensure this course of.
- Now, go to Mounts and Storage and make a choice ‘structure’ then make a choice ‘gadget’. Proceed to the next move when carried out.
- Set up the customized ROM through deciding on ‘set up zip from sdcard’, then ‘make a choice zip from sdcard’.
– in finding the Unofficial CM11 zip file and ensure its set up.
- In the end ROM information are flashed you want to reboot the cellphone and full the CyanogenMod Setup.
- Subsequent, reboot in CWM Restoration Mode and make a choice once more ‘set up zip from sdcard’, then ‘make a choice zip from sdcard’. Flash the Gapps zip.
- When the set up is full, reboot your cellphone in standard mode.
- Enter your Google Account data after which take keep watch over over your instrument.
Check all of the new options and capabilities which have been put in together with the Unofficial CM eleven in your AT&T Galaxy S3 software. In the event you’re having issues with the set up course of, then you definately must ask for extra lend a hand in feedback and we will be able to gladly come to your support.