‘Jiangyi’ has released a full and working build of OmniROM KitKat for Galaxy S2 I9100G. Use this post if you want to successfully update your device to Google’s latest operating system version using a custom ROM. Note that this is a guide for advanced users.
This custom ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4 and it is called OmniROM. It is a new custom ROM project created by XplodWild, Chainfire and other XDA members. If you want to learn more about Omni and its Jelly Bean / KitKat builds, then you can visit its web site here. OmniROM Experimental build is continuously supported by its developer, so you should follow the XDA thread link listed at the end of this post and, thank him for his hard work on releasing a working build for your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
You might find some bugs with the phone’s graphics, but those are to be expected with PowerVR devices. If you find any other bugs, then you’re free to post them in the custom ROM’s XDA thread.
If you want to successfully update your phone with OmniROM KitKat 4.4, then you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. This is the TI OMAP variant.
– don’t use this guide for the Galaxy S2 I9100, as you will brick it.
– if you own an I9100 model, then you should use instead the tutorial here.
- The phone that you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP Recovery might not work with this custom ROM, which is why it is recommended for you to use CWM instead.
- Factory Reset is required for the new ROM to boot normally.
– the factory reset removes data only from system partition, while the internal / external storage won’t be affected by it.
– don’t skip ‘factory reset’.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium app here.
- Backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following utilities: SMS backup & restore In the event you don’t like this new ROM, then which you could at all times use the NANDROID Backup file created in step eight. Use the identical customized Restoration and restoration your software to its earlier state.