The Android 4.4 update has started rolling out to the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets around the world. But if your tablet has yet to receive the update, then don’t despair — we’ve got a quick walkthrough that’ll get you updated in a few minutes, assuming you’ve got a little experience with a command line.
Note that this is for stock Nexus tablets, and for people who want to update without really doing any real hackery, but don’t mind a little command line work. Nothing we do here is permanent, other than the update itself. If you’ve already flashed a custom recovery, you should be able to update manually using that, instead of our method. And with that…
Caution: This guide is intended for technically proficient users only. Proceed at your own risk. Dragons ahead, etc.
- A completely stock Nexus tablet running the latest build of Android 4.3
- The latest version of the Android SDK installed
- The OTA packages: Nexus 7 (2012); Nexus 7 (2013); Nexus 10 (Hyperlinks can be introduced as they develop into on hand)
Take a look at prior the destroy to look the whole guide replace course of.
- Situation the replace .zip bundle from Google within the Android SDK/platform-instruments folder for your pc, however don’t unzip it.
- To your Nexus, go to Settings > Construction choices and change the toggle on. Then let USB debugging below the “Debugging” menu staff.
- Energy down your pill
- Begin up the bootloader by means of maintaining down quantity up, extent down and energy to your pill.
- When the menu masses, plug your Nexus into your laptop.
- Use the quantity up/down keys to navigate to “Restoration mode”, then press the facility button.
- When the Android with the purple exclamation level seems, cling down energy first, adopted fast with the aid of quantity up. You will have to now see the restoration menu.
- Use the quantity up/down keys to choose “observe replace from ADB,” then press energy to choose it.
- To your pc, open up a command recommended or terminal window.
- The use of the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-instruments folder
- On Home windows, sort:
adb.exe sideload <the whole identify of the OTA zip file you wish to have to flash>
… or on Mac, kind:
./adb-mac sideload <your entire title of the OTA zip file you need to flash>
… or on Linux, kind:
./adb sideload <the whole title of the OTA zip file you need to flash>
- The replace will have to commence putting in. When it can be accomplished, choose “reboot gadget now.”
- Experience some scrumptious KitKat