The Nexus S from Google / Samsung has received its own port to Android 4.4 KitKat and now you can use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update its firmware. Note that you’re using this tutorial at your own risk.
AOSP Android 4.4 KK for Nexus S brings the latest OS build from Google, but it not a final build and you will find some things that aren’t working. So, the WebView is not working and this means that any application you launch that uses WebView will show a black squared screen. Not all Gapps will work with this custom ROM. More info about it can be found at XDA here.
This is what is currently working in this KitKat custom ROM for Nexus S: calling, SMS, 3G Data, WiFi, Camera, SDcard, CRT off, light /gravity sensors, superuser and others.
Before starting the installation, read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only for the Google / Samsung Nexus S device.
– don’t try to update any other Android device with the files you find here.
- Your device has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running the latest CWM Recovery to be installed on it.
- The tutorial will tell you to factory reset the device, which is why you should create a full NANDROID Backup of your current ROM.
– factory reset doesn’t delete the contents from the internal storage.
– factory reset wipes only the system partition.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium app from Google Play Store here.
- Backup SMS, Call logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore Join your Nexus S together with your PC, then transfer each zip recordsdata to your tool’s inner storage.
– disconnect the software from pc when all recordsdata are copied efficiently.
- Energy off the tool now.
- Boot it in CWM Restoration Mode now.
- First you want to create a full NANDROID Backup of your present ROM by using choosing ‘backup and restoration’ choice.
– shop the file on the Nexus S inside storage, then proceed to the next move.
- Now, practice the manufacturing unit reset:
– make a choice ‘wipe knowledge/manufacturing unit reset’. Ascertain the method.
- Set up the customized ROM zip with the aid of choosing ‘set up zip from sdcard’, then ‘make a selection zip from sdcard’.
– in finding the AOSP Android four.four customized ROM and make sure its set up.
- After the ROM is flashed, repeat step eight moves and flash the Gapps zip too.
- Return to the primary customized Restoration display when each information are flashed efficiently.
- Reboot the telephone.
– word that the primary boot course of takes a couple of minutes to finish, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons unless all information are loaded.
- Enter your Google Account small print when the house monitor seems.
That’s it, now you wish to take regulate over your tool and begin trying out all of the new options.
If the primary boot course of takes greater than a few minutes to complete or the cellphone enters right into a boot loop, then you’ll be pressured to energy off the software after which repeat the complete tutorial as soon as once more. For additonal lend a hand use the feedback container under.