Now that the bootloader on your Nexus 5 is unlocked, you are probably thinking about whether or not you should flash a custom recovery and root. If you decide that root is for you, we’ve put together a set of instructions for you to root your device in the old school, manual way. The good news is that you don’t have to use our instructions, as there are already at least two automated methods out there that will get you to the same place. We’re just a bit old school, I guess, and like to do things the long way.
*Seriously, if you don’t feel like spending the 5 minutes that this tutorial takes, there are automated approaches at all three of those links.
1. First, unlock your bootloader. [Instructions]
2. Download the latest TWRP recovery for the Nexus 5 to your computer. [Downloads]
three. Location the .img file on your SDK platform-instruments folder.
four. Plug to your cellphone in and open a comand urged from along with your platform-instruments folder.
adb reboot bootloader
(Observe: on a Mac you must use ./ in entrance of instructions.)
6. As soon as it boots to the bootloader display sort:
fastboot flash restoration openrecovery-twrp-2.6.three.1-hammerhead.img
(Relying on while you learn this, the restoration.img file identify might exchange Modify therefore.)
7. Wait unless the restoration finishes flashing and reboot to restoration.
Press Quantity Down except you see “Restoration mode,” then press Energy.
eight. You will have to now be booted into TWRP restoration.
9. Faucet “Reboot” after which “Gadget.” TWRP must suggested you to root your telephone.
10. Observe the on-display directions to root, will have to be swiping a bar from left to proper.
eleven. Your telephone will reboot. A notification will have to seem that reads:
Faucet to put in SuperSU and root your instrument.
12. Faucet on it and practice the directions to put in SuperSU thru Google Play.
thirteen. As soon as it updates, go into your app drawer and open SuperSU. It will instructed you to replace “su.”
14. Apply the directions to replace after which reboot when it tells you to.
15. You are actually rooted.