Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA Update firmware has been released for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500, the model with Exynos 5 Octa CPU. The tutorial listed here contains all the info you need in order to successfully apply the update. Read all instructions and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
The same update was launched yesterday for the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 model. So, if you want info on the changes added by Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA Update, then you can read the ‘how-to’ article for I9505 Galaxy S4 LTE model here. For this new update to be applied successfully you will first have to read the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500.
- Don’t try to update any other Galaxy S4 models as you will end up bricking their firmware.
- Download and Install the Samsung USB Drivers for your PC from here.
- Disable the Samsung KIES from running on your PC. This type of applications will always try to block the Odin firmware installation tool.
- Disable all antivirus applications.
- Enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- In case you flash the new firmware and the device doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you will be forced to apply a factory reset, which will force the device to boot in normal mode.
– the factory reset removes all files store d on the system partition and internal storage.
- Smartphones that are currently running any custom ROMs or kernels or any other type of custom files will be wiped completely.
- Make sure that you take out the microSD external card before starting the updating process, so that you won’t risk losing data stored on it.
- Use the Helium tool from Google Play Store to backup data from installed applications. Download link here.
- Sync all the Contacts info with your Gmail account using our guide here.
- Use this tutorial only if you know what you’re doing. It is not recommended for beginners as you will risk bricking the device.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or lose any important files.
- The Galaxy S4 I9500 battery charge level has to be over 70%, so that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before continuing to the interesting part of this post.
- Download the OTA Update files from here.
– this is a firmware released in Russia, but it should work for all I9500 International models everywhere.
– if the Russian firmware files aren’t working with your device, then you can visit SamMobile’s web site and download the update released for other regions. Note that SamMobile requires you to sign up for a new account.
- After the Android 4.3 OTA Update zip is downloaded, extract its contents and save the .tar.md5 file on your desktop.
– don’t extract any further than that.
- Download the Odin3 v3.07 from here.
– extract Odin zip files and save them on your desktop.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the I9500 Galaxy S4 in Download Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then read the info listed here.
- Open Odin 3.07 exe on your computer.
- Use the USB cable and connect the Galaxy S4 with your PC.
– wait for Odin to recognize your phone, then you can continue to the next step.
– if the device isn’t recognized, then you will be forced to re-install the Samsung USB Driver, download link listed above in the preparation guide.
- Click the PDA button in Odin when the ‘added!!’ appears, then browse your computer for the ‘tar.md5′ file. That’s the Android 4.3 firmware update file you extracted in step 2.
– load it in Odin and don’t change any default settings.
– make sure that Re-Partition option is disabled.
- Press the START button in ODIN for the installation to begin.
– do no interfere in any way with the updating process and don’t press any buttons until the update is complete.
- When the update is complete, Odin will reboot your phone, it will display the PASS alert and you need to wait until the device boots to normal mode.
– when the Samsung Boot animation screen appears you can unplug the phone from PC.
These were the steps you had to take in order to update your device with the latest Android 4.3 firmware. If the installation didn’t complete, then you should continue reading this post.
In case ODIN says FAIL, it freezes or your phone is not responding to the updating process, then you should do the following: close Odin, unplug the phone from PC, remove the phone’s battery, re-insert the battery after several seconds and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. For any extra problems ask for more help in comments.
If ODIN says that the installation of Android 4.3 for Galaxy S4 I9500 has passed, but the phone doesn’t go past its Samsung boot animation screen, then you will be forced to apply a factory reset. This will remove all contents from your device’s system partition while forcing the device to boot in normal mode. Here’s how to do it:
- Power off the phone completely.
– make sure that is not connected to your computer.
- boot it into stock Recovery Mode.
– do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when Recovery menu appears.
– if you can’t boot Recovery, then you might want to take a look at this post here and study extra about it.
- Subsequent, choose the ‘wipe knowledge/ manufacturing unit reset’ possibility. Verify the method.
- After the Manufacturing unit Reset is full, return to the primary Restoration display and make a selection ‘reboot device now’.
- Look forward to the software besides in standard mode, then enter your Google Account information when the house reveal of Android four.three seems.
- That’s it, now you could begin trying out the entire new options and features.
For every other issues, go away an in depth remark on the finish of this publish and we will be able to attempt to give you a practicable answer.