Samsung has launched officially the first Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA Update for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505. Those of you who own such device that didn’t get the updating OTA files can now use this tutorial and learn how to manually install the latest Jelly Bean build. Note that this guide is for advanced users and you shouldn’t use in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
Make sure to check the System Updates menu under Settings before starting the manual updating process. Also, you can try to update your device using the Samsung KIES app. However, if neither of these two Samsung methods are available, then this guide will surely work for you.
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA Update for Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 brings the following changes: support for OpenGL 3.0, support for Galaxy GEAR, TRIM support that should make your phone even faster, ANT+ support, SAMSUNG KNOX security which will install the KNOX Bootloader and dedicated app, Samsung Wallet pre-loaded, better RAM management, better Display color reproduction, tweaked TouchWiz launcher, new Samsung Keyboard, Browse, Reading Mode, new camera firmware. Also there are some tweaks added for various parts of your device’s UI.
This update will add the Samsung KNOX security bootloader. This is something that developers aren’t very happy that it was added, as you won’t be able to flash any new custom ROMs, kernels etc without tripping its flags.
The default value of Samsung KNOX is 0×0, but in case you flash a custom thing on it, then this will be tripped to KNOX 0×1 and there is no turning back, as it will void your device’s warranty. There are many developers currently working on a fix, but there might not be a viable solution for KNOX Flags. If you’re planning on rooting this firmware and installing custom ROMs, recoveries and other custom stuff, then you should know that you might not be able to restore warranty. Update to new firmware at your own risk.
Before starting the update process you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
- Do not attempt to flash this update for US versions of Galaxy S4, as you will brick them.
- Don’t install any files listed here on any other Android smartphone or tablet.
- Download then install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer – link here.
- Disable Samsung KIES software if it is opened on your computer.
- Disable all antivirus apps before starting the OTA Update installation.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu.
- In case the Galaxy S4 I9505 doesn’t boot in normal mode after you flash the new firmware update, then you will be forced to apply a factory reset for your device.
– that will remove all files from system partition but it will force the device to boot in normal mode.
- If your device is now running a custom ROM, custom Recovery or it has any other custom things installed on it, then you should know that the installation will remove all data from your device including internal and external storage.
– take out the external microSD before starting the installation.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium from Google Play store here.
- Sync your saved Contacts by syncing such data with your default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you should use this post here to learn.
- This post is for advanced users.
- Don’t blame us in case you brick your phone or lose any important files in the process.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%. This will prevent it from switching off while you’re flashing the new firmware files.
- If you’re having trouble completing the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your device with the latest Jelly Bean firmware build.
- Download the I9505XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 firmware zip from here.
– this is the Germany-based firmware, but it should work for all Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 International models.
– if it does’t work for your device, then you should follow this SamMobile link (you’ll need to sign up for and account), and find the firmware zip corresponding to your location.
- Extract the contents of the Android 4.3 zip and save the tar.md5 file on your desktop.
- Download Odin3 v3.07 from here.
– extract the Odin contents and save the file on your PC.
- Power off your smartphone completely.
- Boot it now in Download Mode:
– users who don’t know how to do that can learn from here.
- Launch the Odin3 v3.07 executable on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 with your computer now using the USB cable.
– if Odin doesn’t recognize the phone then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers – download link is listed above in the preparation guide.
- Go to Odin 3.07 window to begin the Android 4.3 OTA Update installation.
- Click the PDA button and then browse your PC for the I9505XXUEMJ5 tar.md5 file and load it into Odin.
– don’t change any default Odin settings, just make sure that Re-Partition is not enabled.
- When ready, press the START button and wait until Odin completes the flash process.
– don’t press any buttons while the installation is in progress.
- After all files are flashed, wait for your device to boot in normal mode and then unplug it from your computer.
- Take control over your device and start testing the brand new Android 4.3 JB firmware OS.
In case ODIN doesn’t complete the installation or it freezes, then you should close the app, disconnect the phone from PC, remove the phone’s battery and re-insert it back into its place after several seconds have passed by. Now repeat the entire tutorial. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
NOTE: if ODIN says that the installation was completed and it shows the PASS confirmation, but the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 is unable to go past the Samsung boot animation screen, then you will be forced to apply a factory reset. This will force the phone to boot in normal mode.
Here’s how to factory reset your device with stock Recovery Mode and force it to boot Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official stock ROM:
- power off the Galaxy S4 LTE completely and make sure that is not connected to your computer.
- boot it in Stock Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume UP, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
– use this guide here for extra assist on how you can boot customized or inventory Restoration mode.
- make a selection ‘wipe information/ manufacturing facility reset’ choice and ensure the method.
- after the manufacturing unit reset is full, return to the primary restoration display.
- make a choice ‘reboot device now’.
- wait except the reboot is full after which enter your Google Account information to take keep watch over over your tool.
These had been all of the steps you needed to take to be able to replace your tool with the primary respectable Android four.three Jelly Bean OTA Replace.