The brand new tool improves the Moto X digital camera, however how does it evaluate to different Android telephones?
The Moto X camera got quite an update last week. It looks as if focus, color compensation, and the magic algorithms that turn data into pictures was tweaked pretty heavily, too. There were some really good comparisons between the old and the new when the update rolled out to T-Mobile customers.
The Developer Edition Moto X also shipped with the new software, and it gave me a chance to grab a handful of popular Android phones and snap a few pictures. Folks are curious how well the “new” Moto X camera compares to the other great phones out there, and hopefully this will help. Hit the break, have a look.
Discuss: Moto X forums; Android photography forums
It’s a pretty dreadful day here, but between rain showers I was able run up to post office with my bag o’ phones. I also flipped on a couple daylight color temp lamps and took some indoor pictures. My methods:
- Everything automatic
- Tap to focus, then shoot enabled if available
- Auto HDR enabled if available
- I shoot in 16:9 if available, because that’s what I’m most comfortable with
- I took five pictures of each subject with each phone, and picked out the single best
Note, these have been resized to fit the web. Click them to open a bit bigger. The full versions of all the pictures, unedited and straight out of the respective cameras, are available on Google+.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile)
HTC One (Developer Edition, with Android 4.3)
LG G2 (AT&T)
Moto X (old software)
Moto X (new software)
Some random ideas and observances
I will will let you make a decision which is easiest, and the way every compares to the opposite. However there are some things I spotted that I need to go alongside.
- The Galaxy S4 had a difficult time specializing in the 2nd shot (the one with the I/O bugdroid). I am no longer positive why, and it is an issue I’ve now not viewed prior to. I name it an anomaly, however nonetheless incorporated the picture and needed to say it. The digicam on the S4 is much better than this one image would go away you to imagine, and the opposite two express that.
- The outdated Moto X digicam instrument makes use of HDR (when in auto-HDR mode) extra incessantly than the brand new. No longer certain if that is just right or dangerous, however I needed to say it.
- The G2 is by means of some distance the quickest focusing and taking the image. I am no longer positive if it can be the hardware or the tool, however I do know if I had been shopping for a cellphone completely for one of the best digital camera, it could be the G2. By means of a mile.
- If all you need to do together with your footage is submit the to Fb or Google+, any of those telephones can be simply superb for you. Even the throw-away pictures have been excellent sufficient for the net.