Do you want to obtain more power from your HTC Desire S? Are you tired of the same old Android ICS 4.0 firmware and want a new update? If so, then you will have to flash a custom ROM software on your device as there won’t be any OTA updates release for your Desire S. The S is a budged Android based handset released way back in 2011, so the performances are outdated. If you own such a smartphone, don’t worry as now you can power up the performances and update to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware all thanks to those of xda-developers who have ported the Avatar custom ROM on the HTC Desire S.
The Avatar ROM is based on the CM10.1 platform and is bringing the latest features, apps and capabilities available on the Android system. Furthermore, there will be added extra features that cannot be found on the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware, features that can easily be used for bumping the speeds, improve the performances and upgrading the battery life of your HTC Desire S. This version of Avatar software has been ported on the Desire S from the HTC Evo 4G and according to those who have tested it, the platform is coming without bugs or issues and it is smoothly running on the Desire S.
If you want to update your HTC Desire S to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Avatar custom ROM firmware then you will have to follow and complete this step by step guide. On this tutorial you will learn everything that’s related to a custom update and then you will learn how to prepare your Android based device for the flashing operation. So, stick to the guidelines from below as there are a lot of things to check. Also, don’t apply things without consulting the guidelines because you can end up in bricking your HTC Desire S – after all this is an unofficial procedure as we are not dealing with an official Android 4.2.2 OTA release.
As any other custom ROM, Avatar comes with a custom version of Android not with the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS. So by updating your Desire S with Android 4.2.2 Avatar Rom you will not receive the stock Android looks and features. Instead a custom firmware will be added. The best is that this OS will customize and optimize the performances so you will be able to enjoy an improved smartphone which will run faster and which will offer more speed and power. Do remember though that Avatar is a free aftermarket distribution of Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and not an official update released by HTC for your Desire S.
Considering the mentioned aspects, as you can already tell, if you want to install Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Avatar custom ROM on your Desire S, you will first have to root your phone. By gaining root access you are unchaining the phone’s system from the factory and default restrictions, meaning that the custom firmware will be able to access the required files and programs. Therefore root your HTC Desire S before going any further. After that, install a custom recovery image (like CWM or TWRP recovery) on your device. The recovery image will be extremely important to us as by using the same you will flash the update on your smartphone.
As usual, when dealing with unofficial operations it is recommended to backup your data before doing anything else. In this way you can be sure that your personal data and info are in safe hands. Well, do the same for your HTC Desire S and save everything that’s there on the internal storage memory – just don’t forget the text messages, call logs, market apps and personal accounts. Since a custom recovery image is installed on your phone, use the same for saving the current ROM too – if you will not like the Avatar platform then you will be able to downgrade to stock firmware.
Then, after completing the mentioned operations, make sure that you can use a computer, your phone and its USB cable. Since you will have to download the update manually, on your computer deactivate the security protection. Also, enable USB debugging option on your Desire S (“settings -> applications -> development”) because you will have to connect your handset with the PC. The update operation will take a few minutes, so your device must have at least 60% power left; if not, plug the charger in. Finally, apply the steps from below only for updating the HTC Desire S to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with Avatar custom ROM as this tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned Android based smartphone.
- Download the Avatar firmware from here and save the file on your computer – don’t unzip the update.
- Download Google apps package (from here) and save it on the same place as Avatar firmware – again don’t unzip the package.
- Connect your Desire S with the computer.
- Plug in the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Take the downloaded files from your computer and place them on your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your phone.
- Wait a few seconds and then reboot it in recovery.
- By using the usage of the restoration mode menu choose “wipe information manufacturing facility reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache” – for this reason the backup is being required.
- Return to restoration: select “+++return+++”.
- Make a selection “set up zip from SD card” and “make a choice zip from SD card”.
- Choose the Avatar ROM and flash the firmware file.
- Repeat the process, choose Google apps package deal and flash the identical.
- Then wait except the information are being utilized.
- In any case, return to restoration mode and make a choice “reboot gadget now”.
- If the primary boot will take longer than universal, don’t panic there may be nothing fallacious together with your smartphone.
- However, if you’re going to get caught in a boot loop, attempt to enter restoration yet again; from there choose “wipe knowledge manufacturing unit reset” and “wipe cache partition” adopted via “reboot gadget now”.
Congratulations, now you understand how to replace HTC Want S to customized Android four.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with Avatar customized ROM firmware. As said earlier than, the tool is steady and is derived with out bugs; anyway, do take a look at the brand new OS after which return right here and share your impressions with us and with different customers who may need to use this step-by-step information.