The new Google Nexus 7 is here and since we have a pure Android tablet we are expecting numerous custom ROMs to be developed and released based on the Nexus 7 2013 edition firmware. But until then, we have a custom ROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean already developed for the new Nexus 7 as the SlimBean team managed to launch an alpha release of their latest platform. So, if you want to flash a software that comes with extra features, apps, tools and capabilities on your pure Android tablet follow the lines from below and learn how to install Alpha Slim Bean JB 4.3 ROM on your Asus Nexus 7 device (2013 edition).
This version of SlimBean custom ROM is based on Jelly Bean 4.3 from AOSP so most of the stock features will be included on this update. Of course you will be getting extra features too, as we are talking about a custom software that comes with its own capabilities, looks and performances. So if you want to speed up your New Google Nexus 7, power up the performances and upgrade the battery life, then apply the alpha build of Sim Bean firmware.
Do note that we are dealing with the alpha version of the SlimBean platform. So consider that there are bugs and things that aren’t working perfectly on this version of the Android 4.3 ROM. Don’t worry though as the devs will release a new update soon that will resolve all the bugs and issues, but until then, this should do the trick. If you want to learn more about the features included in this update and about the things that aren’t working as expected, go to this page.
Then, return here and resume this tutorial for learning how to update the Asus Google Nexus 7 2013 edition to custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with Slim Bean custom ROM firmware. Next we will be checking on how to prepare your tablet for the update procedure that will follow. So, complete the pre requisites from below – don’t skip the next list because if you somehow manage to mess things up you can end up in bricking your handset.
- Unlock the bootloader, root and install a custom recovery image on your New Nexus 7.
- Be careful when doing the mentioned operations as the warranty of your device will get void.
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock Android OS or by updating with an official release of the Android system. Then the root access will be revoked, the factory restrictions reinstalled and the bootloader relocked.
- Backup the Nexus 7 2013 edition data – save all of your personal data, info and accounts from the internal storage memory because a wipe will be required (all of your data will be erased).
- A computer, your tablet and its official USB cord will be required.
- It is recommended to deactivate the antivirus programs that are running on the computer and on the handset.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the USB debugging box.
- It is recommended to charge your device if you somehow notice that it has less than 60% power left.
Good, now you are ready for the update process. Before, remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the new Nexus 7, the 2013 edition not the classic Asus Nexus 7. The SlimBean custom ROM is provided by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present guide.
- From here download the SlimBean file.
- Save the file on your computer and don’t unzip the package.
- Also, you need to download the Google Apps package – you will have to flash it manually.
- Get the Google apps from here –save on desktop without unzipping.
- Connect your tablet with your computer via USB cable.
- Copy-paste the downloaded files from the computer to your Nexus 7.
- Remove the USB cord and turn off your device.
- Wait a few seconds and then reboot into recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Select “+++ go back +++” and return to main recovery menu.
- From there now select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the SlimBean file and flash the ROM.
- Then, return, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card” once more, only this time select the Google Apps package.
- Install the package and in the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If your tablet gets stuck in a boot loop, return to recovery mode and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” – you are good to go.
Well done now your Asus Google Nexus 7 2013 edition is being powered by the alpha build of SlimBean custom ROM firmware, which is based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. Test the software as since it is still in development stage there will be bugs and issues included. Do share your impressions and thoughts about this update with us by using the comments area from below and we will assist you as soon as possible.