The Galaxy S4 Active is the waterproof variant of the classic Galaxy S4, the phone being released last month. Since the S4 Active is one of Samsung’s latest flagships, the smartphone is featuring the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, though Jelly Bean 4.3 is already expected (the firmware will be rolled out soon by Samsung). Anyway, during the present tutorial I will show you how to update your Galaxy S4 Active to stock / official Android JB 4.2.2 software, which is dubbed as XXUAMF7. The OS has been made available by Samsung for the Active recently and can be OTA applied, though not all the users will receive the mentioned improvement – that’s why you will probably need to complete this step by step guide.
First of all you should know that when it comes to official updates, or OTA releases, the firmwares aren’t always worldwide available. Furthermore, the OTA are usually rolled out gradually or in phases so not all the users will receive the notifications at the same time. Also, if you own a rooted smartphone, the OTA will not be received by your device which means that you can’t flash the same. In that case, or if you want to apply the official launch of the Android system without waiting for the OTA, you should follow and complete a manual installation guide which will easily take you through the update operation.
The same should be applied if your handset is running on a custom ROM and you don’t like the software. Or, if you want to restore the warranty back – when rooting or flashing custom ROMs the warranty gets void. Anyhow, it really doesn’t matter which your reasons are; all that it matters is to successfully complete your plans. And for helping you out I will show you how to easily update the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMF7 firmware.
The best, as already mentioned, is that by completing this tutorial, you will be able to restore the warranty of your Galaxy S4 Active and also restore the default JB 4.2.2 OS on your device. This can be applied without rooting your S4 Active as you will be flashing the official Android XXUAMF7 software and not a custom or beta ROM. Because of that, if your Active is currently rooted and installed with a custom recovery image, after completing the steps from below, the root access will be revoked, the stock recovery reinstalled and the bootloader relocked. So, install JB 4.2.2 XXUAMF7 firmware on your S4 Active only after ensuring that you have noticed all the up mentioned lines.
Now, let’s see how to prepare your SGS4 Active for the update process that will follow and also let’s check which the pre requisites are:
- Remember that this tutorial is suitable with both rooted and unrooted devices. After flashing the JB 4.2.2 XXUAMF7 update you can learn how to root your S4 Active by using our suitable step by step guides.
- You will need to use a computer, your handset and its USB cable.
- On the computer if there are any security tools installed, you should deactivate the security protection because the programs might interrupt the update operation.
- Also, if your S4 Active has less than 60% power left you should charge the battery before starting the procedure from below. You can brick your handset if it gets turned off in the middle of the update task.
- Your phone must have USB debugging option enabled. If you don’t know how to check it, go to path: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. Without doing this you will not be able to properly connect your smartphone with the computer.
- A backup is highly recommended as your data might get corrupted while updating to stock Android OS. So for avoiding the unpleasant situations, save the S4 Active data; if your smartphone is rooted and installed with a custom recovery image, backup the EFS folder and also make a Nandroid backup.
Remember that this guide is only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Don’t try to update to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMF7 firmware if you have a different or similar Android device as you can end up in bricking your handset.
- Since this is the official update, you will have to use Odin on the flashing operation. So, on your computer download Odin.
- Unzip the program on desktop and install the app.
- Then, download Samsung KIES and install the S4 Active drivers on your computer.
- Also, download the update file from here and place the file on desktop.
- Extract the update file also on desktop.
- On your computer run Odin.
- Turn off your phone and reboot the S4 Active in download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
- With the device in download mode, use the USB cable and connect your phone with your computer.
- Once you do that, on Odin you should notice: “added” message and the ID:COM which is yellow or blue.
- If not, unplug the cable, close Odin, and reinstall the SGS4 Active drivers on your PC. Then repeat the steps from above.
- If everything is working as expected, from Odin select “PDA”.
- Then pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Ensure that the re-partition option on Odin is unchecked.
- Then, from Odin click on “start”.
- Now the update operation will begin.
- You will know when it’s over as the “pass” message will be displayed on Odin.
- Then you will be able to disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Reboot your device.
- Note: if your Active will get stuck in a boot loop – reboot in recovery (press Power, Home and Volume Up buttons) and select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and then choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Note 2: if while performing the steps from above Odin gets stuck, you need to close the program, unplug the cable, force restart your smartphone, reinstall the drivers and restart Odin.
- For resolving any other problems use a dedicated step by step guide.
Congratulations you have installed the stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMF7 Firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4. DO share your experience with us or with others that might want to use this guide by using the comments area from below.