Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE has been officially updated today to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware. The new version number of Jelly Bean OTA Update is XXCMG7 and it has pushed out for UK region. This means that not all tablet users received this update if they are based in other locations or the firmware OTA update notification didn’t arrive for their devices.
If you want to learn more about this release and what it brings new, then you can check this news article here.
XXCMG7 Firmware Update for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE can be flashed easily, but you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- This tutorial works only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE tablet with model number N5120.
- Do not attempt to upgrade any other Android device using the files listed in this post.
- If your device is rooted, then by installing the new XXCMG7 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OTA Update you will restore to stock the device, while the root will be revoked.
- Warranty will also be restored by this tutorial.
- If your device is already on stock ROM or it is only rooted, then this tutorial won’t remove any data from it.
- If your phone is running on a custom ROM, then this guide will wipe all data from it. That is why you should backup all your most important data file before starting the update.
- Download Samsung USB Drivers from here. This will make sure that your tablet will be recognized by ODIN and you will be able to flash the new firmware files.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that your device’s battery power levels are over 50%, so that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a guide for advanced users, which is why you should make sure to apply all the correct actions. Do not skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you lose any important data files nor in case you brick your tablet.
- In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your tablet.
- Download Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 zip from here.
- Extract the contents of this zip and you’ll get a N5120XXCMG7_N5120BTUCMG7_BTU file with the .tar.md5 extension.
> don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.07 from here.
> extract the contents of this zip.
- Power off your Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE.
- Boot your tablet into Android Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin executable on your computer.
- Connect your device with your PC via USB data cable.
> wait for Odin to detect the tablet and display the ‘Added!!’ alert.
> if the device isn’t detected by Odin, then you will be forced to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers (download link in the preparation guide above), or plug the device into a different USB port.
- When the device connects with your PC, press the PDA button in ODIN.
- Find the N5120XXCMG7_N5120BTUCMG7_BTU .tar.md5 file and load it into Odin.
> don’t change any other default Odin settings.
> make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is not enabled.
- When you’re ready, begin the updating process by pressing the START button.
> the installation process will take several minutes to complete.
> don’t press any buttons while you’re device is updated.
- When all XXCMG7 Android 4.2.2 OTA Update is pushed to your update, you will see that Odin says ‘PASS’, the device reboots and you can disconnect it from your PC.
- Wait for the main Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean home screen to appear. Enter your Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
- Test all the new features, then tell us in comments if you’ve noticed any battery life improvements, smoother UI etc.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE using Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 firmware files. In case you have any problems with the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution for any problems that you might stumble upon while attempting to update your device.
NOTE 1: if Odin doesn’t complete the update, it shows the FAIL alert or it freezes all together, then you should unplug the tablet from PC, power it off completely. Next, you should close Odin, restart it and then try to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
NOTE 2: if Odin displays the ‘PASS’ alert, which confirms that the firmware update was completed, but the Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE is unable to go past the Samsung boot animation screen, then you should know that you have to apply a ‘factory reset’ using the Stock Recovery mode of your tablet. This will wipe all data from your device, but it will force the device to boot into normal mode with the new XXCMG7 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OTA Update. Here’s how to do that:
- Make sure that the tablet is not connected with your PC.
- Power it off completely.
- Boot it into Stock Recovery mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the recovery screen.
- Confirm the process.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait several minutes for the first boot process to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of your new OS appears.
That’s it, now your Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE N5120 should be running the latest official Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 Jelly Bean ROM build.