AOKP Milestone 2 custom ROM is now available for the US Cellular Galaxy S3 and you can use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully install it. Make sure to read the entire post before staring the update.
If you want to know more about the new features and functions added by AOKP Milestone 2 for your Samsung Galaxy S3 US Cellular, then you can read this post here.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash this custom ROM for your device, then you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Don’t try to update any other Galaxy S3 version using the files I’ve listed in this article.
- Your US Cellular Galaxy S3 has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image like the CWM or TWRP.
- Use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will set a backup and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly after installation.
- The how-to part of this post will tell you to ‘factory reset’ your device, which is why you should know that all system partition data will be lost. This means installed apps, SMS and other similar data will get wiped in the process.
- Use a tool from Google Play Store in case you wish to backup some installed apps data.
- If you’re planning on backing up SMS, Call Logs info or APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these tools.
- Sync the Contacts data with your default Gmail account in order to backup all the contacts info and phone numbers.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left before completely switching off.
- Read the entire tutorial and do not skip any steps that are listed in it. You wouldn’t want to be forced to repeat the installation more than once.
- Do not blame us in case you lose important data or you brick your device.
I think that these were all the guidelines that you had to read before getting to the how-to guide. If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
- Download AOKP M2 build zip from here.
- Download GApps zip for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based custom ROMs from here.
- Use the USB cable and connect your Galaxy S3 US Cellular with your computer.
- Copy both AOKP M2 and Gapps zip file to your phone’s internal SDcard. When you finish copying the files disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot it into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
> if you don’t know how to do that, use the info listed here.
- Create a NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM using the Custom Recovery Mode:
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ menu and then create the NANDROID backup file. Confirm.
> for TWRP Recovery: press the Backup button and select the system data you wish to save. Confirm.
- Factory reset the US Cellular Galaxy S3:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm the process.
- Now you can install the AOKP M2 ROM:
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 zip, select it for installation and then confirm.
> for TWRP: press Install button, then you have to browse the internal SDcard of your device for the AOKP M2 zip file. Confirm the installation by sliding to the right the bottom blue button.
- After you finish installing the new ROM, you should install the Gapps zip too. Select the same options as you did in step 9 in order to complete the installation of Google Apps zip.
- When both files have been flashed with success, return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now.
> note that the reboot might take a while before completion. Wait for all files to be loaded.
- Enter your Google Account details when the AOKP Milestone 2 home screen appears. That is it, you’ve managed to install the custom ROM with success.
Test all the new features and functions that AOKP M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM has added to your US Cellular Galaxy S3.
If the installation fails at the first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure not to skip any steps. In case you’re still experiencing problems with the installation, then it would be best for you to ask for extra help in comments.