The AT&T and Verizon versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3, which are model numbers I747 and I535 can now be updated to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. No, we are not talking about an official update, as during the following lines I will show you how flash a custom ROM on your handset. In order to clarify things out, we will be checking on how to manually install the latest build of Slim Bean (build 7) custom firmware on your AT&T and Verizon Galaxy S3 and update to JB 4.2.2 through the same.
SlimBean is a mixed ROM between popular platforms, like CM10.1, AOKP or Paranoid Android. What does this means? Well, by updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Slim Bean OS, you will be able to receive a variety of features, apps and capabilities that are not included on the stock Android software. Furthermore, you will install a custom version of the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware which will smoothly run on your S3 since the ROM is stable and without bugs and reported issues or things that aren’t working properly.
With Slim Bean build 7 your Verizon / AT&T Galaxy S3 will run faster, will provide improved speeds and you will be able to enjoy an upgraded battery life and a more stable Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 experience. Of course you will not get the stock JB firmware as SlimBean is coming with its own version of Android with custom looks, features and apps.
And if all that isn’t enough for you and you want to bump the speeds, then consider in overclocking your Android device. Then, you will be able to say that all the customization, optimization and power up operations have been completed.
Now, for being able to update your Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 / I535 to custom Android 4.2.2 via Slim Bean custom ROM, you need to complete the following list of tasks:
- Root your SGS3 for unchaining the system of your phone – the firmware will have to access the same and without gaining root, you cannot provide the mentioned access.
- Then, install a custom recovery image on your phone because the stock recovery isn’t suitable with this operation. When dealing with custom ROMs, you need to use a custom recovery like CWM recovery or TWRP recovery.
By performing the mentioned methods, the warranty of your S3 will get void. So, if your phone gets bricked up you will be by yourselves. For avoiding the unpleasant situations read all the guidelines explained in this tutorial and stick to the steps from below. Then, if needed, you can restore your warranty by downgrading the Galaxy S3 to stock Android OS, or by updating to an official release of the Android software.
Before updating the Verizon / AT&T SGS3 with SlimBean custom ROM you need to backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your device. You can skip this part if you want to, though I recommend you not to do so; you see, a wipe will be required so you will be losing all of your personal data, info and accounts (including EFS, internet settings and of course the current ROM).
Then, make sure that on your phone the USB debugging option is enabled. Also ensure that your handset has more than 60% power left, or else charge the battery. Furthermore, a computer, your device and its USB cable are being required, so make sure you have access to the same. Finally, on both computer and smartphone you will have to deactivate / uninstall the security tools like antivirus antimalware or Firewall protection – you can reactivate the security protection afterwards.
Finally, don’t forget to thanks the SlimBean team for the present step by step guide. Do consider the following: the firmware presented in this guide is compatible only with the Verizon or AT&T versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3, model numbers I747 and I535, so don’t try to use the next steps if you own a similar or different Android powered device as you can end up in damaging your handset.
- Download the update file: for the Verizon SGS3 use the link from here, while for the AT&T Galaxy S3 use the link from here.
- Then, download the Google apps package by going to this page.
- Save all the files on your computer – recommended on desktop.
- Don’t unzip the files, just copy-paste them to your phone’s SD card – after connecting your device with the computer.
- Then, disconnect the devices by unplugging the USB cord.
- Turn off your handset; wait a few seconds for completing a proper and full turning off operation.
- Then, boot your S3 into recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing on the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons.
- While in recovery mode, use the side buttons to navigate and press Power to select.
- From recovery first off all select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Then return to recovery menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Now, from the same menu select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file from the SD card and flash the same.
- Then, after flashing the ROM repeat the steps for installing the Google apps package.
- Finally, choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Good job.
Well done, you have updated your Verizon / AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 to custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS by flashing the Slim Bean build 7 custom ROM firmware. That was all for now, but stay close as we will bring more Android related tips, tricks and tutorials suitable for you Android based smartphone / tablet. Also, use this guide for learning how to resolve the most common Android issues – if you had problems while trying to complete the steps from above.