Sony recently updated its Android based flagship, the Xperia ZL, to latest version of Jelly Bean as an OTA JB 4.2.2 firmware, dubbed as 10.3.A.0.423, has been rolled out. But since the software is offered gradually and since only locked (un-rooted) devices will be able to receive and apply the OTA release, a manual update operation might be what you are looking for. If so, don’t hesitate and use our step by step guide as I will show you how to easily flash the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.A.0.423 OS on your Sony Xperia ZL.
The Xperia ZL along with the Xperia Z is the best Sony smartphone available on the market so the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update has been expected by all of us. Anyhow, the firmware has been rolled out only for the Xperia ZL model number C650X so you should apply the 10.3.A.0.423 software only if you own the mentioned device. Beside that, you really have nothing to worry about as the ROM is stable and comes to add new features, apps and bug fixes in order to improve the Android experience that currently runs on your Xperia ZL.
Remember that this is the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update offered by Sony and Google for your Xperia ZL, so consider this manual operation and official one. Therefore, don’t worry as the warranty will not get void and you don’t have to previously root your handset for being able to apply the next lines. Anyhow, if you want to learn more about the present guide and if you want to properly prepare your smartphone for the flashing procedure that will shortly follow, check the list from below.
- The warranty of your phone will not get voided; furthermore by installing the stock JB 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.423 firmware you will be able to restore the warranty – in case it has been previously voided (by rooting or flashing a custom ROM software).
- The official version of the Android system will be installed on your Xperia ZL, so this is not a beta or custom ROM; you will receive the latest and stock features, apps and capabilities available on the market.
- The guide will work for rooted and locked devices, but if your phone is currently rooted, now the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
- Because we will be applying the OTA update manually, a computer will be requauired.
- Then, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, you will have to: deactivate the security tools from both computer and smartphone; charge the battery of your device; enable the USB debugging option on your phone – go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the same.
- Backup the Xperia ZL data; it is unlikely to lose your personal info by completing this tutorial, but in rare cases the data does get corrupted. Therefore, as a recommendation, use suitable backup and restore apps and save your contacts, messages, call logs, market apps and everything else you might need.
You now know everything about the flashing operation; also your device should be prepared for the update procedure, which means that you are ready, so you can safely begin to apply the JB 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.423 software. Do take note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Sony Xperia ZL model number C650X – completing the next steps for a different handset will probably brick your device.
- On your computer you need to download the update file. Use the link from here for doing the same.
- Save the firmware file on the Desktop.
- Then, from here download the flash tool that will be used on the update operation.
- Install the flash tool on your computer.
- Then, run the program (click on “Thunder” symbol).
- Select “Flashmode” followed by “OK”.
- Ffrom the window that will open you need to click on”…”.
- In this way you can select the firmware file.
- So, pick the .ftf update file from the desktop.
- Turn off your phone.
- Press the Volume Up button on your device and while pressing the same connect your handset with the computer by using its USB cord.
- Now, if you take a look on the Flash tool you will notice that the firmware is being installed.
- Wait while the flashing operation is running and don’t press anything.
- In the end your Zperia ZL will reboot into JB 4.2.2 10.3.A.0.423 Firmware.
- If the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic, there is nothing wrong with your device.
That’s it; your Sony Xperia ZL has been manually updated to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.A.0.423 OS. So, good job; now all you have to do is to test the new software. Do share your impressions with us and also tell us how things worked for you. If you had problems while trying to apply the update, use the comments area from below and share the issues with us; we will try to assist you as soon as possible.