Samsung and AT&T have made available the first build of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for the AT&T Galaxy S2 phone. Use this tutorial to learn how to successfully update your device manually without using the KIES software. Also, this guide will work AT&T Galaxy S2 owners who didn’t receive the official update files on their KIES software.
In order to successfully install the update, you will first need to read the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 with I777 as the default model number.
- Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Galaxy S2 variant because you will end up bricking it.
- If your phone is rooted, then the update process will revoke root access and it will be restored to stock status. The warranty for your device will also be restored. This info is available only for users who customized the OS of their device by rooting it or installing any other custom files.
- Also, users who are currently using a custom ROM for their AT&T Galaxy S2 will be forced to factory reset the device after the update is complete.
- Download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for your computer. Without these you cannot connect the phone with your PC.
- Using this tutorial might remove all data from your smartphone, which is why it would be better for you to backup all the important data before starting the update process.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any important Contacts data or phone numbers.
- Enable USB Debugging from the phone’s Developer Options section.
> NOTE: after the update is installed, the Developer Options menu will be hidden and you will have to re-enable it by opening Settings and then find ‘Build Number’ section. Tap ‘build number’ 7 times for the Developer Options menu to re-appear on your phone’s Settings menu.
- Make sure that there is no antivirus running on your computer while installing the new OS.
- For the updating process you will need to use the ODIN program, which is why your computer should have all the antivirus programs disabled. Such security tools will interfere with the Jelly Bean UCMD8 installation and the update will fail.
- Make sure that there is enough power left in your device’s battery. The charge levels should be over 50% to make sure that the update will complete without problems.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users.
- You cannot held us responsible in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you brick your phone in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post.
- Download the I777UCMD8 firmware zip from HERE.
- After the download is complete, extract the zip contents and you will get a file named I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_ATT.tar.md5. Don’t extract any further than that.
- Download ODIN 3.07 from HERE. Extract its contents and save them in a single folder on your PC desktop screen.
> in case Odin 3 v3.07 doesn’t work, then you can try to use Odin3 v3.04 (here) or Odin3 v.1.85 (here).
- Now you want to energy off your smartphone.
- Boot the software into Obtain Mode. When the telephone has entered the Obtain Mode you could proceed to your next step.
- Launch ODIN exe.
- Join your smartphone together with your laptop presently.
>Odin will say ‘Delivered!!’ and that implies that the 2 methods had been efficiently linked.
> In case Odin doesn’t acknowledge your cellphone, then you definitely must attempt to plug it into a unique USB port or re-set up the USB Drivers.
- When the whole thing is ready, you want to click on the ‘PDA’ button.
- Browse your pc for the I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_ATT.tar.md5 file and cargo it into ODIN.
> don’t edit another Odin default settings, however ensure that the ‘Re-partition’ possibility is disabled.
- While you’re prepared, click on ‘START’ button and look forward to Odin to put in the Android four.1.2 Jelly Bean Replace information on your AT&T Galaxy S2 cellphone.
- After the set up is full, your cellphone will reboot and you could unplug it from laptop when the Samsung boot animation reveal seems.
- Wait a number of minutes for all recordsdata to be efficiently loaded after which take keep watch over over the cellphone.
- These had been the steps that you just needed to take, check the entire Jelly Bean four.1.2 options and inform us in feedback if the the Galaxy S2 AT&T efficiency has been enhanced via the replace.
These had been the entire steps that you simply needed to take as a way to set up the newest and first construct of Android four.1.2 JB for At&t Galaxy S2 smartphone.
If the set up used to be accomplished efficiently, then which you could shut this tutorial and begin trying out your new working gadget options. For customers who encountered issues all over the set up, learn the notes beneath and chances are you’ll discover a options.
NOTE 1: in case ODIN freezes, it shows the Fail alert or it doesn’t full the educational for another cause, then you definitely must disconnect the telephone from PC. Shut ODIN and do away with the cellphone’s battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds handed after which repeat your entire tutorial as soon as once more beginning with step three. This time it’s possible you’ll wish to use some other Odin model.
NOTE 2: if ODIN accomplished the set up, however the AT&T Galaxy S2 doesn’t wish to boot with the brand new Jelly Bean four.1.2 UCMD8 firmware, then you are going to be compelled to use a ‘manufacturing unit reset’. This will likely do away with all contents out of your software’s gadget partition, however it is going to power the software in addition with the brand new authentic ROM. Right here’s how to try this:
- energy off the telephone totally.
- boot into Restoration Mode.
- make a choice ‘wipe information/ manufacturing unit reset’ and make sure.
- watch for the ‘manufacturing facility reset’ course of to complete efficiently.
- get again to the principle Restoration Mode menu and make a selection ‘reboot gadget now’.
- wait a number of minutes for all of the information to be loaded and on your instrument in addition the I777UCMD8 Jelly Bean dwelling reveal.
In case you have every other questions, use the feedback box beneath.
If you wish to root this new firmware replace, then you definitely must test again this internet web page so as to discover a working ‘how-to’ information.