The Galaxy S4 I9505 had received several custom updates until now, but if you haven’t installed your phone with a custom ROM, then I recommend you to try the new PACman software as the platform had just been made available for your device. As you might know, the Pacman platform is based on three other systems: CM10.1 AOKP and ParanoidAndroid ROMs. Therefore, you will update your SGS4 with a mixed OS that brings features, apps and capabilities ported from the CM10.1, AOKP and Paranoid Android firmwares, all for improving, customizing and optimizing the performances and the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 experience of your smartphone.
Each time when you are about to perform an update operation, the best will be to ensure that you know everything that’s related to the installation procedure and about the aspects that the same implies. So, before starting to flash the Pacman JB 4.2.2 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S4, do read all the lines from this tutorial; else you might skip important details that might be vital for your phone – flashing a custom software is not an official operation, so if something bad happens, or if you mess things up, there will be nobody to help you out.
A custom firmware is not an official update; the Pacman OS is not coming from Samsung and it’s not a stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. The system was developed by third party devs (those of xda-developers – we have them to thanks for this step by step guide) that mixed the CM10, AOKP and Paranoid Android platforms in order to develop the Pacman firmware. The present OS is based on stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, meaning that a custom version of the same will be installed on your Galaxy S4.
Pacman is not yet fully stable as the ROM is still in development stage. Anyway, according to those who had already flashed and tested the firmware on their Galaxy S4 I9505 devices, the software can be safely applied for a daily use. Also, there are minor bugs included on the Android 4.2.2 JB OS, but the issues will soon be resolved by the devs so you have nothing to worry about.
But for being able to apply the update on your S4, you will first have to:
- Root your phone; a custom ROM or unofficial firmware can’t be OTA received thus you need to manually flash the same. Furthermore, if we are talking about custom updates, then unchaining the system of your device is a must have; so gain root access before going any further.
- Install a custom recovery image on your smartphone. Considering the same aspects (the ones mentioned above) the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on all the Android powered devices must be replaced with a custom one, like CWM or TWRP recovery. This custom tool will be used when you will have to install the .zip files from the SD card.
- Note: a custom recovery image can be applied only on rooted systems.
- The mentioned operations are unofficial ones: by completing the same the warranty of your Galaxy S4 will get voided.
- Note: you can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS, or by un-rooting the system of your phone.
- Before installing the CM10, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid based Pacman ROM on your Galaxy S4, make sure that you perform a backup operation. A wipe will be required so you must save your personal data, info, accounts and recent saves.
- Note: after rooting and installing the custom recovery image, you can make a Nandroid backup; in this way you can even save the current ROM, so if needed you can anytime restore the same.
Those were the operations required when dealing with custom updates. Now, you can safely flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based PACman custom firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4. However, before applying the steps from below you also have to: ensure that you can have access to a computer, to your smartphone and to its USB cable; deactivate the security tools from the computer and device; enable the USB debugging option on your handset by going to “Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging”; charge the battery of your phone – do this if on your device you notice that the battery status is below 60% of power.
Finally, don’t complete this guide unless you own the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505. Apply the CM10, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid powered Pacman ROM by using this tutorial only on the mentioned smartphone, or else you might end up in bricking your Android based device.
- The first thing to do is to download the required files.
- Go here and download the update file and then use the link from here and obtain the Google Apps package deal.
- Retailer the recordsdata to your laptop; don’t unzip them.
- Join your cellphone with the PC – use the USB cable.
- And switch the downloaded recordsdata from the pc to your telephone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the units – unplug the USB wire.
- Flip off your S4.
- Reboot into restoration mode – press and dangle Extent Up, House and Energy buttons on the related time.
- From restoration make a choice “wipe information manufacturing facility reset” and “wipe cache partition” – first backup the information.
- Return to restoration with the aid of deciding on “+++return+++”.
- Then make a choice “set up zip from SD card” and “make a choice zip from SD card”.
- Choose the firmware file first and follow the identical.
- Up subsequent repeat the flashing operation and set up the Google Apps package deal.
- Return to the restoration menu as confirmed above and choose “reboot device now”.
- Your tool must boot into Pacman ROM; if now not (if you’re going to get caught in a boot loop) you’ll have to reboot into restoration yet again; from there wipe the device once more.
- Additionally, if the method will get interrupted you’ll have to power-restart your software after which you’ll have to repeat the replace operation from the start.
- But when the primary boot will take longer than common, don’t fear, there’s nothing mistaken together with your cellphone.
Congratulations, now you know the way to replace your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 with Pacman Jelly Bean four.2.2 Customized ROM. Remember the fact that the firmware is a blended platform between CM10, AOKP and Paranoid Android so necessary options and capabilities from these ROMs might be brought to your Galaxy S4. Subsequently, take a look at the brand new instrument and the brand new capabilities after which share your impressions with us. Additionally, if there are bugs or issues that aren’t working correctly, share the issues through the usage of the feedback space from under in order that any individual that’s enthusiastic about finishing this information could make a right kind concept about this practice replace.